Monday, July 30, 2012

Huh, my computer only wants to be in Greek...


Guess what... no pictures again.  Way too tired.
Last time I wrote it was my last night in Thessalaniki.  The whole group went out to dinner and had a great time.  The next morning we got on the bus and headed to Kalambaka… now, before I continue, I need to let you know that a few years ago I decided I HAD to visit as many James Bond film locations as I could.  “Why?” you ask?  Well why not?!?!  Luckily this summer I get to cross four locations off my list (I’ll discuss my plans to get to certain space related “Moonraker” locations later).
Luckily the drive to Kalambaka was long so I got a couple hours of sleep.  Along the way we stopped in Pella and went to the alleged tomb of Philip II (long story…).  We also went to the site of Pella saw some great floor mosaics.
Finally, Kalambaka.  Meteora, located outside of Kalambaka, was in “For Your Eyes Only.”  It consists of huge cliffs with monasteries scattered all over them.  Had the chance to watch the sunrise over the cliffs, which was pretty cool.  We boarded the bus and went to one of the monasteries where we had a nun explain some of the wall paintings (it involved a man being flayed…).
After Meteora we hopped back on the bus for a 5-6 bus ride back to Athens.  Along the way we stopped at two battle sites.  One was Pharsalus, which involved a battle between Julius Caesar and Pompey.  I can’t recall the name of the other battle site, mainly because I’m not a fan of military history (sorry Grandpa).
We arrived back in Athens Friday night and that’s where we’ve been the past few days. Saturday morning we headed to Heinrich Schliemann’s old home (he excavated the city of Troy) and saw his extensive coin collection.  Then some of us did a little shopping.  In the afternoon we headed to Kerameikos, but it was closed.  Instead we talked about the site including a Spartan gravesite (which is odd since Kerameikos is in Athens).
Sunday we headed out on a ferry to the island of Aegina to see some sites and we had the chance for another (and out last) beach day.
This morning (Monday… right), we headed to a marble workshop and the Stadium in Athens.  After that we went to the first cemetery of modern day Athens.  To end our day we watched an amazing performance by some of the finest actors I’d seen in awhile.
Wednesday I head for Izmir, Turkey to move on to my next adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment