Monday, July 16, 2012

I have a new follower!!!

Yes!  I'm up to three whole followers!!

Well, Thursday and Friday were spent in Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympic games.  I’ve been here before, but it was definitely interesting to see it from an academic point of view versus a tourist point of view.  It was also MUCH cooler than the last time I was there so I actually jogged across the Olympic field when last time I did more of a slow walk.
Original Olympic field.


  After Olympia we went to the museum there to see what they had uncovered at the site.  
Helmets
For lunch the whole group ate together at this restaurant owned by a fabulous family who was very generous and cooked some great food.
Saturday morning we woke up for a loooooong bus ride back to Athens. We drove for about 1 ½ - 2 hours and stopped at Chlemoutsi Castle, which was a medieval castle. 

Then we got back on the bus for another 1 ½ -2 hours and headed to Patras where we went to the Basilica of Agios Andreas (St. Andrew).  The basilica was beautiful (despite all the pick pockets out and about) and in the church next door they were setting up for a Greek Orthodox baptism.
We then boarded the bus again and headed to lunch (fast food, nothing exciting).

Beautiful hand carved chandelier. 

We headed back toward Corinth and the Isthmus that separates the Peloponnese from Attica.  We crossed the canal and headed northwest to Perachora to see the Heraion (temple to Hera: http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Hera.html).  We also had the chance to go in the water below the temple and some people went cliff diving (don’t worry safety dad, every part of me wanted to do it, but I knew if I died you’d get up at my funeral and talk about how irresponsible I was).  


Then we got back on the bus and headed toward Athens… to the heat!  I don’t think I slept at all that night because it was so hot.
Sunday morning we didn’t have anything planned so I did some research (because the library is air-conditioned!!!  In the afternoon we headed to the Epigraphical Museum and had the chance to learn about reading inscriptions on stones (which are technically our only primary source writings from the time).  My ancient Greek is getting slightly better and I was able to read a couple things and actually understand what some words meant!! Sunday afternoon was hotter than Hades!!! (http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Haides.html)  As a result of this I spent more time in the library!!  I got a little bit of sleep Sunday night in preparation for Monday (103 degrees!!).

Monday morning we left at 8 to head to the Acropolis.  Lots and lots of tourist…  We had the chance to learn about early sanctuaries built on the site and then focused on the Erechtheion!!  I remember seeing my parents’ slides of the Porch of Maidens when I was little and was excited to be able to go into the sanctuary (even if it was only on the north porch).  
Halloween costume....?                                          View of Athens from Erectheion

After that we went to the south slope of the acropolis to look at some more shrines at the theaters down there. It was hot!!
This afternoon we went to the National Museum for a couple of hours to look at the vase exhibit.  There we had a great lecture by an expert in the field and I learned a lot more about ancient Greek pottery. 

Bottom half of vase: Gorgons http://www.theoi.com/Pontios/Gorgones.html

I’m pretty sure I’ve lost half my weight in sweat over the past couple of days and tomorrow is going to be 100 + as well!  I guess I should try to get some sleep!!

No comments:

Post a Comment