Monday, August 6, 2012

I was in Europe, then Asia, then Europe again…



I have money again!!!  Thanks mom and dad!!  However, unlike yesterday, everything I did today actually accepted credit cards…..

This morning I headed off to a Turkish bath house.   The one I went to was called Çemberlitas Hamami.    The building was designed/constructed in the late 1500’s by Sinan who is considered to be one of the greatest architects of the Ottoman.  It was such a relaxing experience... there should be more massages in life!

After that I headed to the Grand Bazaar to see what that was all about.  It is one of the oldest and largest covered bazaars.  SENSORY OVERLOAD!  Pick something you want… they have it!!  Lots of “it.”  I left with nothing because I need nothing…

Next off to the Egyptian Spice Market!!  The building smelled delicious!  I ended up buying tons of apple tea and tons of Turkish saffron (yum yum yum!).  This means I get to infuse a ton of olive oil when I get home (more yum yum yum), oooh, and paella, I haven’t made paella in awhile!  The man at the spice market decided I was Spanish, which was GREAT!!  He didn’t try to push me into buying more stuff (because Spain’s economy ain’t so hot!).

After the spice market I headed down to the docks for a two hour cruise along the Bosphorous, which connects the Black Sea to the Sea of Marmara, thus making it a pretty important trade route.  The boat crisscrossed between the Asian and European side (although Izmir is in Asia… So I already covered that). The weather was great so the views we quite lovely.  When we docked I went to one of the seafood restaurants under the bridge (sounds sketchy, but it’s not) that connects old a new Istanbul.  I had kalamari and it was delicious!

BTW, in case I left this out, Ramadan is currently being observed by Muslims in Turkey (and then rest of the world). No eating from sunrise to sunset.  This tends to make street sales people quite angry and aggressive come midday.  Also, did I mention how much I LOVE Islamic culture?  It’s one of my favorite units to teach (I also love teaching religion)  and it has been so amazing to be in Muslim country and see so many beautiful mosques.  It’s also been interesting to see the variety of head/body coverings that women choose to wear.
I also realize that I really like traveling solo and staying in hostels.  It’s such a great way to meet a variety of people from all over the world.

I did a little shopping after that and then headed back to the hostel to repack for my flight to Bucharest, Romania tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment