Sunday, August 5, 2012

Istanbul was Constantinople…


      
(I've completely given up all conventions of grammar and spelling... deal with it.)

So, my last day in Izmir was focused on getting Citibank to send me money.  They didn’t, their customer service in the US was horrible (and you should have seen the look of shock from the people at the Citibank in Izmir over the incompetence they witnessed).   I will speak of Izmir later (once the trauma wears off).
Saturday morning I got in a cab with 49 Turkish Lira to head to the airport.  I got on the plane and this is why I LOVE Turkish Airlines:  it was an hour-long flight and they served a full meal (they did this a couple of days earlier on BOTH my flights).  The hostel I’m staying at in Istanbul was able to send a car to pick me up so I didn’t need cash.  When I got to the hostel the guy at the front desk loaned my 200 TL since I had no money… so nice!! 
The hostel is great (Agora in Sultanahment, Istanbul)!  It’s super clean, they have a great breakfast and a fabulous view of the water on their rooftop.  I’m staying in an 8 person dorm and it’s only $25/night.  They also have a handmade brochure that tells you where the sites are and what parts of the area to avoid or be careful in.
So yesterday after I got settled in I went for a walk and headed into the Blue Mosque.  It’s nicknamed the Blue Mosque because of all the blue tiles on the inside.  I had to be given a skirt because I was in shorts, and a scarf to cover my shoulders.  I also have to take my shoes off.  The building inside was absolutely beautiful!!  What an amazing feat of architecture!!  After that I wandered around for a bit, contemplated buying a sword, but then realized I had no money (and no need for a sword).
I went to bed and e-mailed my parents to have them send me moneyJ
This morning I headed out for a bus tour of Istanbul.  It was about 1 ½ hours and then I went to Dolmabache Palace.  I could tell you a lot about it… but, I kind of don’t want to.  I will tell you that Ataturk died here and that they won’t let you take any pictures of the inside…. Booooooo.   I did some more walking around then ended up back at the hostel to sit on the rooftop and write my blog while the sun sets over the Bosphorous!
Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow Western Union will have some cash so I can head of to Romania on Tuesday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment