Thursday, August 16, 2012

Last Day in Praha (Prague)


Well, this morning I had to switch hotels because I decided to stay in Prague a day longer and my hotel was full.
Then I went to the train station to but my ticket to Munich for tomorrow.  It took 5 minutes and was so much more organized than Budapest!!
After the switch I headed to the Old Town Square and there it was… a Salvador Dali exhibit!!!  I love DALI.  So of course I had to go check it out.  There were some photos of Dali and some of his sketches as well.  He was a madman, but an awesome one at that!!
Then I did some shopping…
The next part of my day consisted of a tour of the old Jewish Quarters (Josefov) in Prague.   Some king forced them into a ghetto years ago and they were not allowed to build outside of that area.  As a result, the one cemetery in the area had to keep being rebuilt on itself for a total of about 200,000 bodies in an area much smaller than a NYC square block  (maybe about 1/8 the size of Union Square…).  Above ground there are roughly 12,000 grave markers, all right next to each other so some of them are unable to be read.   Hitler didn’t destroy any of the buildings in Josefev (although he did send the residents to death camps) because he wanted to turn the buildings and neighborhood into a museum to what he thought would be an extinct race (so bizarre). 
Next I headed out on a boat tour along the river.  The weather today has been a bit rainy, so I’m lucky I went up in the balloon yesterday because it was closed today!
For dinner I went to the oldest kosher restaurant in Prague and had some matzo ball soup and chicken.  It was delicious!
Tomorrow morning I’m on a train to Munich to finish off the last week of my tripL

No comments:

Post a Comment